1st May 2014: The Lakes International Comics Art Festival is proud to announce it is teaming-up with Titan Comics to launch a competition for ‘unpublished comic creations’!
The competition is an exciting opportunity for fledgling comic creators to submit completed short stories in the graphic medium, with a “Lost in Space” theme.
The winning entries will be announced at the second annual festival between 17th – 19th October 2014, and published by Titan Comics as a digital exclusive anthology release via the digital platform, ComiXology.
“We’re really excited to run this competition with The Lakes International Arts Festival,” said Titan Senior Editor Steve White. “New creators are the life-blood of this industry. Without them we wouldn’t have new comics or new ideas! We’re thrilled to give them a platform to shine!”
“Our festival is all about creating new audiences and finding and nurturing new talent so this competition is dynamite!” said festival director Julie Tait. “It’s fantastic to be collaborating with one of the UK’s leading comics producers and to bring a new dimension to our festival in just our second year.”
The closing date for entries is 30th July, 2014, with the winners hand-picked by the Titan Comics editorial team, after initial judgment by the Lakes Festival team led by Katie White who will manage and undertake first sit of entries and veteran comics editor John Freeman, whose credits include editor of Doctor Who Magazine and Overkill at Marvel UK and was Titan Magazines’ first Managing Editor.
• To keep up-to-date with news from Titan Comics, visit TitanComics.com, join them on Facebook or follow them @comicstitan on Twitter.
“Titan Comics Challenge”: Rules, Judging Process and Submission Notes
• The theme for the competition is ‘Lost in Space’
• Submit a complete, previously unpublished short story – scripted, drawn and lettered – no more 4-6 pages in length – by 30th July 2014
• Submissions may be in colour or black and white
• Submissions may be made by individuals or teams
• Submissions must be all-ages (or PG), and must not include adult content, explicit violence, and gore.
• We are only able accept one submission per artist/creative team, so make sure it’s your best!
• Characters featured must be your own, i.e. not characters from TV, film or any other entertainment medium unless you own those characters yourself outright and can support that claim through previous publication, digital or physical
• All entries will be initially processed by the Lakes International Comic Art Festival team who will draw up a short list of at most 20 entries for final consideration by the Titan Comics editorial team
• The strongest entries will be judged by Titan editorial team, with the winners announced during the festival weekend. These will be published digitally on Comixology as an anthology under the Titan Comics banner.
• No payment is involved up front, but creators will receive digital royalties.
• If the quality of work submitted after the initial judgment process is not considered of a sufficient quality by the Titan editorial team, Titan Comics reserves the right to reconsider publication of an anthology
• Judgment of the entries is based on the rule of law in the United Kingdom and any dispute arising would be contested in a British court
• Legible, low resolution submissions of your final art of your completed story must be sent to the email address: email@example.com
• Physical submissions are not acceptable
• Submitted artwork must be in proportion to fit the final page size 170mm x 258mm with 5mm bleed on each side, 300dpi. Please don’t forget to save your original layered files in case re-lettering the story is necessary
• All rights remain with the creators.
• All entries must include the entrant(s) names and a contact address, email address and telephone number
• In the submission of your entry, please include “Titan Comics Challenge Entry” in your subject line
• In your covering letter, please include the following: “I have read the submission guidelines for the Titan Comics / Lakes International Comic Art Festival “Lost in Space” Challenge 2014. I confirm the work submitted is wholly originated and features only my own characters. I agree to the requirements of the competition as outlined in the submission guidelines. I understand that should my work be accepted for publication in the anthology, no payment will be made upfront, but I will receive a share of the royalties from any profits made from the published work.”
About Titan Comics
Titan Comics is the comics and graphic novel division from publishing giant, Titan, offering the best new creator-owned and licensed comics alongside new and classic graphic novels.
Titan Comics has already captured the imaginations of readers, reviewers and retailers with its strong focus on quality, creativity and diversity of genre!
Titan is one of the most successful independent publishing operations in the US, with a recent six-week run at #1 in the New York Times bestseller list.
• For more information, visit www.titan-comics.com
Connect with Titan Comics:
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/comicstitan
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/ComicsTitan