We take our responsibility seriously and are targeting to reduce our emissions by 68% by 2030, 78% by 2035, and to reach net zero by 2050 at the latest.
These targets mirror the UK’s targets, as set out by the UK’s Climate Change Commission in their Sixth Carbon Budget, and so puts LICAF on a credible path to net zero. We recognise these are stretching targets, as the UK has committed to some of the highest reduction rates of any major economy.
We accept the importance of making significant emissions reductions in the 2020s – this is the decade for meaningful action – and we know there will be challenges ahead, but we understand the cost of not taking action will be much greater.
In support of these commitments, we are taking a number of actions:
- We are reviewing and updating our Environmental Policy to ensure it reflects our increased commitment to mitigating and adapting to the climate crisis.
- We will explore if and how the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals may support us to consider climate change alongside wider environmental and societal goals.
- We are undertaking an audit of our festival, both as it is now and how it may evolve in the future, to identify ways we can reduce its impact on the environment.
- We will create a detailed action plan from this audit setting out specific improvements for us to target in the short, medium and long term.
- We are calculating our carbon footprint, covering scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions, to establish a baseline position from which we can improve.
- We will measure and monitor the progress we make, re-calculating our carbon footprint each year and tracking the impact of the changes we make.
- We will report our progress in a transparent and timely manner to a range of relevant audiences.
- We will work with our festival partners, suppliers, audiences and other stakeholders to encourage and support them to take positive climate action.
- We will work with our comic artists, creators and writers to find opportunities for comic art to help drive the cultural conversation on climate change, influencing positive action in the UK and internationally.
- We will position LICAF as a leader on climate responsibility within the comic world.
Throughout the year LICAF delivers a wide range of projects using comics to achieve positive change, delivering projects in our local community, across our region and country and with partners internationally.
We believe Comics Can Change the World and are delighted to be involved with a number of comic art anthologies in response to the climate crisis, as we believe comics have the potential to help raise awareness of threats to our planet!